Tuesday 5 February 2013

Last or lasting?

"What advise would you give your son (or daughter) on your deathbed?" This was the question posed by a sheikh on facebook. I had 100 things pop in my head right away, and I was like Oh  thats not hard... However, when i started typing in his comments box (he asked everyone to) - i was stuck for a while. I actually tried to imagine myself on my deathbed. I didnt do a great job of imagining, yet one thing was sure... many people do not die in a condition of giving advice. One reason is ofcourse it might be a sudden death, another could be an incapacitated mind but topmost for me was... when people are too involved in their sickness and pain, in their worldly belongings to offer any lasting advice. Immediately i made dua that Allah take me away in a state of iman and God-consciousness.
I may or may not get the opportunity to advise my kids anything given any of the above reasons....my only real option is to leave a lasting imprint on their lives now while I am sane and breathing. All the things I had listed in the sheikh's comment box are the things are I need to implement and enforce now. If i die  tomorrow, my kids would know this is what their mother would have wanted them to do Insha Allah. I need to talk to my kids everyday and inculcate in them the love of Allah SWT and the prophet SAW so they look for guidance in them. I need to make them believe they can do anything they put their minds to, as long as they ask Allah for help, do their best and then have tawakkul. I need to tell them why their parents are important and how to be grateful to them. I need to make dua for them. I cannot teach them about life on my deathbed. I can only remind them of what i had already taught them. They cant just be my last words, they need to be lasting words..for my own salvation!
Ya Allah! Give  me the wisdom to raise my children well. Ameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment